Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Assumptions - A Part of Life

Hi All,
A weird thought crossed my mind and I decided to open it for discussion.

I am a part of software industry. From first day the continuous teachings that I am getting are - 'No Assumptions', 'Dont Assume things', 'no guesses'. It has become a generic rule that Assumption would lead to failure.

But dont you think that we all assume at each and every step of life. Imagine that I am driving a car and I see someone crossing the road in front. My immediate reflex would prompt me to honk. Am I not 'assuming' that the person crossing the road is not deaf and will hear my horn?

I take up engineering course of 4 years. Am I not 'assuming' that I am going to live for those 4 years to complete the course? And several more years to encash the course?

I propose to my best friend. Am I not 'assuming', with fingers crossed, that she would reciprocate.

I am writing this blog 'assuming' that nothing will happen to my internet or no meteor will collide with earth and I will be able to complete this blog successfully. (I know its exaggeration)

I drive over a bridge 'assuming' that bridge will not collapse and I will not get a chance to test my swimming skills.

I seriously 'assume' that Assumptions are a part of life and everyone should have the right to assume. But ofcourse these assumptions can be little calculated to contain risks, especially when you are not the only one impacted.

Give your thoughts guys...

Cheers,
Ashish Kanak

No comments: